Happy Mothers’ Day
Happy Mothers’ Day! 44 days ago, I became a foster mom to a sweet little guy we’ve nicknamed “Diego.” This week he turned 14 months old, and my old life turned upside-down. Here’s a quick update:
A few things I never expected:
- That I would ever clean his face with my spit. I wiped the dried food off his face with my spit before walking into church the first Sunday he was with us.
- That I would be so willing to strangle ANYONE who would make noise that wakes him up before it’s time for him to get up.
- That I would learn 40 different verses to the “Wheels on the Bus” song, and melodiously ask my husband to do things or to bring things to me by using that tune while rocking Diego to sleep.
- I figured laundry would increase by a third – not triple, and I never imagined I’d spend so much time chopping food into tiny choke-free bites.
A few things I’m much more grateful for now:
- An uninterrupted cup of coffee, meal, conversation, and night’s sleep.
- My mom who worked 3rd shift full-time when I was a baby, and had to use cloth diapers and rectal thermometers.
- The daily spiritual lessons this guy brings my way, like, the incredible patience of our loving Heavenly Father who truly is slow to anger and abounding in love.
Dear Lord, help me to be that kind of mom. Help me to be as patient and abounding in love with him as You have been with me and all of Your kids. Amen.